Waynesville is a village in Wayne Township, Warren County, Ohio, United States. The population was 2,834 at the 2010 census. It is named for General “Mad” Anthony Wayne. The village, located at the crossroads of U.S. Route 42 and State Route 73, is known for its antique stores and its annual sauerkraut festival. Caesar Creek State Park is located 5 miles (8.0 km) east of the village.
Waynesville is served by the Mary L. Cook Public Library. In 2005, the library loaned more than 203,000 items to its 8,000 cardholders. Total holdings in 2005 were over 67,000 volumes with over 110 periodical subscriptions. In addition the community is served by WYNS, a low-powered community radio station which also streams on the internet.
Waynesville is located at 39°31′55″N 84°05′11″WCoordinates: 39°31′55″N 84°05′11″W.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.39 square miles (6.19 km2), of which, 2.38 square miles (6.16 km2) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.03 km2) is water.
Samuel Heighway, the projector of Waynesville. built what appears to have been the first cabin in that town March 9, 1797, but numerous tracts in the vicinity of that place had been sold and settled prior to that time.
Waynesville was founded on the west bank of the Little Miami River in 1797 by Samuel Heighway on land he purchased from Judge John Cleves Symmes. The area was in the Northwest Territory until Ohio achieved statehood in 1803. General “Mad” Anthony Wayne opened the land for settlement through the Treaty of Greenville; appropriately, Waynesville was named for him. Heighway platted Waynesville in the fashion of an English village, laying the town out in twelve squares of four acres each. The squares retain their names today, as noted by sign posts on each corner.
Waynesville has significance as an important Quaker settlement. The Miami Monthly Meeting, established in 1803 as the first such gathering in southwestern Ohio, is located here. Early homes were built of logs and later mostly of frame, as wood was plentiful while bricks had to be made on site. The Accommodation Stage Coach Line ran along Third Street, which was the major road of that time, and Waynesville was the halfway point between Springfield and Cincinnati, Ohio. In the first half of the nineteenth century, Main Street became the center of Waynesville’s commercial activity. Currently, the Village of Waynesville has over 200 historic buildings that are still in existence. Most of these properties are in the older section of town, which includes Main Street, Third Street, Fourth Street, and parts of Fifth Street.